Friday, September 16, 2011

Response 1


Response Paper 1



The information that I read in chapters one and two I am anticipating this course will open up my eyes to different perspectives of life and not just seeing things my way or one way. The views and opinions of my classmates will defiantly differ from mine and also be very similar to mine. Even though it just an introduction class I will be able to get an understanding of the bases of all the theories, perspectives, and all the different ways to research a problem by using the scientific method which will help me later on in life. Detectives use the scientific method to solve crimes like homicide for instance. They define the problem, the dead body. They review the literature, by looking up the person’s record to see what kind of person they were, if they had a history of crime. They formulate a hypothesis, was it drug related or a random act of violence. They collect and analyze data, by knocking on door and conducting face-to-face interviews with possible eyewitnesses because somebody had to see something, with the information they gathered they go get the suspect. They develop a conclusion, based on the fact, information they gathered and eyewitness testimony they have enough to close their case. If the suspect confesses or not it doesn’t matter the confession is just because the detectives would like to know why the committed the murder. The study of sociology will contribute to my education by making me become a critical thinker, and by viewing different cultures and my own culture from a different perspective. It will also be a good learning experience for me given the career I want to get into. Sociology would relate to my career goals because out of all the careers in the world the criminal justice career deals with people in their element. By that I mean the way people act at a doctor’s office is not the same way the act on a Friday night on Easton ave. Sociology and law enforcement go hand in hand because laws help or tell people how to behave in society, and if you decide to break the law you will be punished. Like the speed limit for example everybody knows not to go above it if you get caught then you will get punished only if you get caught. As a law enforcer you will have to deal with people in their element like their homes to solve domestic problems or resolve issues with their kids, that’s rather hard because you have to put your feelings and believes aside to help them solve their family problems that you know nothing about and you can’t be bias either. Mainly I just want to focus all my attention and energy on the kids, especially the ones that grow up in a single parent home which sometimes leads to the road of crime, and promiscuous behaviors. I feel like that the problem is the kids are not being supervised at home which leans to destructive behavior in society. I might be wrong and then again am only looking at one side of the issue. I would actually use Harriet Martineau view of acting in a manner that will benefit society. If you think about it children are very impressionable if they see their elders doing things they will grow up doing the same. For instance I have noticed that all my friends that grew up with alcohol in the house ended up drinking at an early age. That’s just what I have noticed among my friends it might not be true for all. The young boys see their favorite rappers and basketball players on television “living the life” and they want to live like that by any means necessary, not knowing that the people they are idolizing worked hard to get where their at. Also there should be no reason a fifteen year old girl is with child in middle school and has to dropout. If kids in single parent homes were supervised or were enrolled in after school programs they wouldn’t choose a destructive lifestyle. I know that I can’t change their cultural capital and social capital but I would just show them another perspective of life and let them know that you don’t have to take this road you have choices. So hopefully this class will be everything that I dreamed of.

No comments:

Post a Comment