Tuesday, November 1, 2011

Response 6


Response 6

 As a child you are oblivious to the world around you. Growing up is when you start to take notice of things like social classes. For example I used what type of car my parents and my friend’s parents were driving to figure out what social class I fit into. I came to a conclusion that my friend parents had a better car than my parents because their parents were educated and mine, sad to say, were not. I think education plays a major role in determining your social class. It seems as if the higher your education is the more money you will make. The more money you make the higher you move up in the social class. It just so happens that most regular people that live in poverty have little education which makes them limited to succeeding in society, and most regular people that have a good income have masters which puts them ahead of society. You don’t have to have education to have good income. For example the people on reality shows like jersey shore and basketball wives just to name a few. I don’t think any of the cast members on jersey shore have their masters but they all have more money than me same for the basketball wives.When I was in elementary school it hit me what type of social class I was in. It was the end of fifth grade and I was about to be a sixth grader. When you were in sixth grade you ran the whole school. All the kids in the lower grades looked up to you and thought you were the coolest thing ever. So with that being said I said to myself I am going to be the most popular sixth grader ever. I made a pledge that I was going to get the coolest and hottest gear, not sure if the word gear is still in use to describe clothes, and I was going to get hottest shoes better than the other kids. Being that I was in fifth grade going to sixth I had no money or no job to support my dream. So I had to run this by my mom and she put me in my place. She said what about your old clothes wear that and I was like mom this is sixth grade we’re talking about here. She said well I can’t afford to buy you all those things you’re just going to have to wear your old clothes. Then she sat me down and showed me all the bills she had to pay plus she had to help out my dad with rent. That’s when reality hit me twice that I wasn’t in the social class that I thought I was, and that I wasn’t going to be the most popular sixth grader ever. Eventually I got over it. I understood that since my parents are not fortunate to have degrees and masters they can only provide us with the necessary things like food, shelter, and clothes.The social classes are determined by the people in society. Basically it is whoever has the most money or if their family has money. The only reason me and Lebron James are not in the same social class is because he makes more money than I will ever see in my lifetime, even though me and him are in the same age group. This and other reasons is why the occupy movement came about. I went there on Sunday because I had no idea what the movement was about. I learned that the lower class people are tired of living their life check to check, while the rich people are living their lives with no worries and getting richer. If you think about it logically it would make more sense if the rich people shared their wealth so we all can live on an even playing field. Then again if that were to happen some people would want more than the next guy and the current social class system would start all over again. I think the idea of social classes is the reason why crimes like robberies are committed so commonly. People see other people with nice things they want and they get jealous and take it. The things people steal range from cars, jewelry, clothes, and electronics.                                                                                                         

No comments:

Post a Comment